Friday, July 5, 2013

So I Went to UCC General Assembly...



I must admit (which will come as no shock to you) that I am not the most cheerful traveler.  Before getting on the plane I had tried the patience of many souls.  For some reason, having to take a trip to Long Beach, CA in late June wasn't seen as an exercise in puritan suffering by family, friends, or congregation.  I don't know why....

Well, actually, I guess I kinda do see their point.  I did manage to notice that the weather was fantastic (even though I was jet-lagged, had a raging cold, lost my voice, and spent most of the time in a rather middling convention center).  Also, it was nice to meet old and new friends (some from an exotic region called "Nebraska").  We stayed on the historic Queen Mary, which was rather goofy but fun.  Finally, the meetings, themselves, were interesting.  Some were inspiring.  I still haven't processed all of what I did and learned.  Now I am back in the parsonage, trying to figure out what to do about worship in two days.  Time rushes on...

Right now, though, I will outline the topics of a few Synod topics I want to revisit on BP this summer...



Synods and Assemblies:  I would like at some point to examine the practice of large denominational (or associational or whatever) conventions.  There are strengths to this model but in other ways, they don't make much sense.  I am familiar with both Synod and UU General Assembly and they are different in many ways.  Briefly, I would say that GS is better at getting business done and GA is a bigger party. There are reasons for this but the model comes from before the time of computers.  Today, it seems, there should be ways to build in efficiencies other than voting with our glorified (and frequently malfunctioning) TV remotes from the plenary floor.

Divestment: The UCC General Synod voted to become the first denomination to divest from fossil   fuels.  This proposal came out of out conference and was the result of the tireless efforts of Jim Antal, our Conference Minister.  The final proposal was worked out in consultation with one of the bodies that invests money for the UCC as such, it was a demonstration of how we can get things done by working together.  At the same time, it remained both prophetic and controversial. Another investing body did not participate in discussions.  This story will be an ongoing one, I think.

Theological Education and Funding for Ministers: The question of how to support seminarians, actually, turned out to be the most controversial subject.  I thought it was a no-brainer.  The process of collaboration that existed in the divestment debate didn't really flow in to this one.  Definitely more on this one later.

Caring for Veterans: Finally, a non-controversial issue that shows how when we work together, a body as large as synod can actually be pastoral as well as prophetic and just plain business-like.

That is all for now!  On to the somewhat-late work of picking hymns and readings for our shorter summer services.  If you are around on Sunday, please drop on by!  It would be great to see you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment