Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent is Upon Us

We are really moving along now.  This past Sunday we lit the candles in the windows as we always do and shared the readings we will use for the next three weeks.  This year I gave some of the more grand, poetic readings a rest.  The Benedictus and the Magnificat will have to wait, possible until Christmas Eve.  Smaller moments, more intimate ones, I think, have taken precedence.  The actual birth of Jesus as told in Luke 2:1-7, for example, did make the cut.  So did Luke 1:39-45, the moment when Mary visits Elizabeth right before all the singing starts.  Fewer angels touching their harps and more amazed humans reacting to miracles.  Non-Biblical readings included Theodore Parker, Anne Weems, and Kenneth Patton.

I am always amazed when I read the actual Christmas/Advent story and realize how short it is. Really...every single year it catches me off guard.  No doubt part of this is a result of my job.  I certainly think about the story longer than it takes to read it.  Partly, though, it is cultural.  We have filled in a whole lot of spaces haven't we?  The books and specials have helped with this.  There is so much more one can do by setting the holiday in Whoville instead of Bethlehem, after all.  Of course, that Arius-punching Saint Nick has his own franchise going... 

Yeah, that's the Arius v. Santa...er...incident.  The liberal theologian is on your left.  Jolly Old Elf on your right.


I like the simple story best.  I like it that we are working up to JC's B-Day and that we are supposed to prepare for the event.  I am enjoying the way things are unfolding both at church and at home.  In both places we ease into the decorations, both to reflect the passing of time and, frankly, to keep us from going crazy.  Decorations are important, after all.  It adds to the special feeling.  The normal and average begins to change, becoming greener as everything else turns brown and (hopefully...eventually) white.  It also keeps us from shopping.  It makes us focus on either the holiday itself or one of its pagan predecessors.  It slows us down...at least a little bit.

What doesn't seem to be getting a hold on me right now is the answer to the "what to you want for Christmas" question.  I don't mean to sound either virtuous or pedantic.  I love presents but I am at a loss for what, exactly, they might be.  I guess I am not so into specifics right now.  Still, something wrapped up under the tree with my name on it would be nice...

Here are some links to Advent posts of the past...

Here is a link about shopping this time of year.  I wrote it some time ago but there may still be some helpful hints in there...

This is about hanging out with the steampunks at a Holiday event in Waltham...

And another holiday-themed post about music in church...

Oh...Arius...  I got the picture off the web and will try to figure out where it is located...

No comments:

Post a Comment