Monday, April 18, 2011

Boston Marathon

There is only one international athletic competition in my town and that is the Boston Marathon.  The marathon winds its way through various municipalities in Burbania before plunging into the city for the big finish.  The boys and I made sure to get up and walk into town in time for the big race, which is still wrapping up and will be for some time.

After grabbing some snacks we made our way to Mile 10 to see the elites run past.  Most of my pictures didn't come out well (sports photography was not a career option).  However, here are some that did...

See?  Mile 10...

The women ran on our side of the street so I got some OK pictures.  The men ran on the other so I only got one even moderately good one...


Hellen Mugo


Desiree Davila...Did she come in second?


I don't know who this is, but she was very fast and near the front...


Someone named Grandt, obviously.  I think she was behind the first group...but not too far behind...


Ryan Hall, Bekana Daba, Geoffrey Mutai, Gilbert Yegon.  I didn't get a good shot of the runners next to Mutai and behind Yegon...anyone?   Mutai went on to win and--I believe--set a new record.  Ten miles is still pretty early in a marathon.

...and Alistair Cragg...great name...he's Irish...

I should note that the marathon is a big party for those of us not running, which is a good thing since we were cut off from home by the race....

A popular local karaoke singer and public access TV celebrity kept us entertained

Matt Carriker, Eliot Church's Assistant Pastor and Birthday-Boy sold snacks to raise funds for the West Virginia WorkCamp trip...

...and...well...some of the runners had a party, too...



I missed taking a picture of the guy in the gorilla suit and also missed all three of the people I went to watch!  Congrats to Rebecca, Luis and Tom!  I hope you had as much fun running the race as I did looking for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment